Back in summer 2015, word started to spread about an exciting new event in Beckenham. Last September, the first So Last Century Vintage & Retro Fair took place and was an astounding success – read the article here, with hundreds of local residents keen to try a vintage market on their doorstep. The response was so positive that it has rapidly become a fixture on the local calendar.
So Last Century was set up by us; Alan Old (an architect, who deals in mid-century homeware, furniture and 60s Penguin paperbacks), and Alison Davis (a former civil servant and writer, trading in vintage jewellery, toys and Ladybird books). We are neighbours and school-gate friends, who wanted to set up a school-hour friendly business that promoted our love of vintage design and sustainability. We also wanted to work locally and bring something new to our home-town of Beckenham, in the London borough of Bromley, which borders Lewisham, Lambeth, Southwark, Greenwich, Croydon and Bexley.
In an era of identikit high streets and throw-away consumerism our mission is to provide a unique trading event. We offer over 40 mainly indoor, carefully curated stalls at the grade II listed Venue 28 in Beckenham and our second venue, St Dunstan’s College in Catford, with further stalls outside when the season permits. So Last Century Vintage & Retro Fair is an event for all ages, always coming with delicious coffee, cakes and hot street food, often craft beer, vintage musical ambience and seasonal extras.
- At So Last Century you can expect to find an abundance of top-quality style and design for your home and your wardrobe.
- Together with all our traders, we are passionately committed to salvaging, reusing and recycling. Our traders are predominantly vintage traders, with a small clutch of vintage-inspired designer-makers, who offer a superb range of goods from jewellery to furniture. We do not accept sellers who trade in reproduction goods at our vintage fairs.
- Our traders offer goods to suit all purses, but mainly affordable. You can hunt for bargains, or seek out a superb piece of 20th century design.
- So Last Century is proud to support many start-up and local businesses who share our underpinning aims. We also promote local artists, with our popular ‘Local Artist Spot’ at both our Beckenham and Catford venues.
- We’re an occasional fair, popping up around eight times a year, so make us a date for your diary!
So Last Century… bringing style to South East London.